— Oscar Wilde
On May 12, it's time to get rid of Premier Gordon Campbell and the B.C. Liberal government — and the reasons are plentiful and obvious.
• Under Campbell, BC has had the highest rate of child poverty in Canada for five years straight.
• B.C. now leads the country in job losses and BC's economy in 2008 shrank, while Canada's grew.
• The broken promise not to sell BC Rail turned into the biggest political scandal this province has seen in years as we learn new information constantly.
• Former B.C. Liberal election campaign co-chair Patrick Kinsella was paid $297,000 by BC Rail for "business advice", with payments continuing even after CN Rail paid $1 billion for its main operations.
• Allegations of political dirty tricks coordinated out of the premier's office. BC Liberal-connected lobbyists turned star Crown witnesses against two ministerial aides — David Basi and Bob Virk — and despite allegations lobbyists bribed the accused, they face no charges.
• Radical fish farm expansion despite massive evidence from Alexandra Morton that sea lice breed in the farms and destroy wild salmon.
• Encouraging private power corporations to devastate rivers across BC while forcing BC Hydro to buy expensive electricity from them but not offer cheaper products to compete with them.
• BC Liberals continue to push for dangerous offshore oil and gas exploration and provide hundreds of millions in tax breaks for big oil companies while claiming to be "green".
• The unfair Campbell carbon tax that especially hurts lower income and rural British Columbians while doing nothing to reduce consumption.
• Campbell's refusal to increase the minimum wage in eight years, leaving over 250,000 workers making less than poverty line incomes.
• Failure to improve health care despite spending billions, or to adequately fund education.
• Giving away taxpayer dollars to expensive P3s or private-public-partnerships from hospitals to bridges despite evidence the cost of privatization exceeds keeping it public.
• Cost overruns of $388 million on the out-of-control Vancouver Convention Centre.
• devastation caused by Canada Line construction.
• The BC Liberals' phony 2009 budget which underestimates the deficit by at least $1 billion, meaning major service cuts if re-elected.
• BC Liberal candidates under investigation, losing their drivers' licenses for drinking or excessive speeding or just acting intolerant of sexual orientation.
This article was forwarded by Coyote; it was published by Straight Goods. Read it all here =>
The article is also available with its original links at Bill Tielman's blog here =>Recommend this Post